Questions you may ask:
- Why spend resources on SEO? Are cost, time and resources justified?
- Do you need SEO at all?
- Is Digital marketing relevant for your business segment?
- How can you benefit from our services?
- Why can’t you do SEO yourself with standard tools?
First and foremost the true benefit of our website audit is that you get our proactive advice on common issues and pitfalls, which we may have experienced during our auditing of your site as well as of other sites.
Please remember that the non technical issues are usually the most important ones, as they are underlying the possible technical problems. So if you don’t solve these, the technical issues become irrelevant.
The main non technical areas you should have in mind and check during your ongoing effort to keep site up to date include:
- Content: As content is the most important aspect for good user experience, check that content is clear, consistent and relevant for the user visiting your site.
- Do you provide trustworthy source of info? Do you reference the sources you are using?
- E.g. if you have spec for your product, it will be advisable to provide reference for this spec such that user can check and compare with other vendors of same product.
- Is level of detail provided sufficient? If user does not find the level of detail he is looking for, he may most likely try to lookup this info from your competitor. Like yourself, if you are looking for a specific type of product you will typically first make a short list of requirements, then lookup sites supplying this and finally check requirements against product spec. So again if user e.g. does not find the product spec, he may bounce away, even though your price may be OK. You can not expect that user will be patient to ask spec from you.
- Happy customer: Users will prefer sites where they can engage on a personal level for support etc. So giving user a good customer satisfaction helps to build customer loyalty, i.e. user may likely come back to you for next request.
- 2nd opinion: Get an unreserved and honest review of your site from relevant person. This type of brainstorming approach will always give you some relevant feedback of how others perceive your site. And perception is reality.
- Holistic, helicopter view of site: Start from top and then work your way down the details. I.e. make a complete list of what you find, prioritize these issues and decide the action plan for each of the points, starting with the ones at the top. First things first as always
- Layout/structure of site: Is layout of site user friendly? Check colors, contrast, color matching, images, flow of presentation
- Call to action: Ensure you have setup relevant action for every page, this may be buttons for buy, read more, login etc. This is what you want user to decide on before leaving page.
- Simpler and shorter is better: Remove as much as you can of redundant stuff, this will bore the user anyway
- Speed: Check user response time, if user perceives your site to be slow he will bounce away
- Keywords: How will the users you want to visit your site find you? Which keywords will they use?
- Follow competition: Keep updating yourself by checking competing websites and comparing your site with others. Try to identify your competitive advantages
- Visibility of site on social and professional media: Local customers will typically use mobile or tablet today to find e.g. product, shop or professional service locally. Check that users in local environment can find you and discuss you site
- BLOG: Is BLOG regularly updated? Are your BLOG posts still relevant to your business?
Last but not least please remember that in order to provide good user experience you need to test your website functionality thoroughly on all relevant devices, including PC, tablet and most importantly mobile. This test could typically be done after upgrade of your site, please keep in mind that even a small change may have significant impact on other areas. We often experience issues, which may have been captured during thorough regression test before release.
During audit of your website we will address above generic points plus below list of top benefits of our website audit and optimization service.
- Your website will be reviewed and optimized for quality, uniqueness, consistency and clarity
- User experience
- User visual perception of site checked and improved
- we check site from user point of view to verify that site functionality is working as expected
- User response time improved in terms of faster search results from your site
- Target is that above the fold contents should be shown in less than 1 sec on mobile, see below extract from Google recommendation:
PageSpeed Insights analyzes a page to see if it follows our recommendations for making a page render in under a second on a mobile network. Research has shown that any delay longer than a second will cause the user to interrupt their flow of thought, creating a poor experience. Our goal is to keep the user engaged with the page and deliver the optimal experience, regardless of device or type of network. It is not easy to meet the one second time budget. Luckily for us, the whole page doesn’t have to render within this budget, instead, we must deliver and render the above the fold (ATF) content in under one second, which allows the user to begin interacting with the page as soon as possible. Then, while the user is interpreting the first page of content, the rest of the page can be delivered progressively in the background.
- Honest and unreserved feedback on underlying business model or shop layout
- Indirectly during audit we enter an open discussion with you on how we perceive your business model reflected on your website
- I.e. does your website support your business model in focusing on where you want your business to go? How do users perceive your business?
- Technical review of site
- Call to action for every page
- Select right keywords for your site
- Identification of redundant components, plugins, pages, posts etc.
- Title and meta description checked for each page
- External links and backlinks checked
- Sample checklist from Google Page Speed Insights which we will use during audit:
- Enable compression
- Optimize images – ref. https://yoast.com/image-seo/
- Prioritize visible content
- Reduce server response time
- Leverage browser caching
- Minify CSS
- Minify HTML
- Keywords checked and optimized such the users you target can find you
This blog post has primarily been inspired by below references: